New Zealand Visa: everything you need to know to get your e-visa


Known for its sumptuous landscapes, New Zealand has been chosen by some of the world's top film-makers to shoot their movies. It's also a unique place to discover nature, with natural pools in Northland and mermaid pools, and heavenly spots such as the Bay of Islands and the Coromandel Peninsula, not forgetting the wilderness. A visa is required for your stay, which can be obtained from online (e-visa) or from the embassy.

How do I get a visa for New Zealand?

To travel to New Zealand, you need to have the necessary documents, such as your passport and your New Zealand visa. The administrative requirement for the visa is that you must obtain it in advance. In other words, if you are travelling for the first time, you will need to obtain a "New Zealand visa". Visitor Visa ". The latter can be obtained automatically online or by following the normal administrative procedures at consuls or embassies.

The procedure for obtaining a PVT visa for New Zealand is very simple. You apply for permission to travel to the country on the official immigration website. It will take you approximately 1 hour to : 

  • Create an account
  • Fill in the application form for a working holiday visa
  • Pay the fees to the consulate, i.e. 280 $NZ

How long does a visa for New Zealand last?

Your type of visa will depend on the type and duration of your stay: 

  • For a stay of less than three months New Zealand Visitor Visa: all citizens of European, American and Oceania countries can easily obtain a Visitor Visa when entering New Zealand. It is stamped in your passport when you arrive at your destination airport. Each visa for New Zealand with the stamp is valid for a stay of 3 months and no longer. However, you must ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months before the date of return for your visa to be valid.
  • Still for a stay not exceeding 3 months: the nationals of other countries must apply for a residence visa online or at a consulate or embassy. This will be an individual visa. For group travel, you will need to apply for a paper form.
  • A visa for working holiday programme or the PVT (more than 3 months and can extend to 12 months) can be obtained for nationals of France, Belgium and Canada. The traveller must be aged between 18 and 35 when applying for the visa. Belgian, French and Canadian nationals must hold a passport valid for at least 3 months. You must also have a health insurance policy and good financial resources. A PVT visa allows you to travel around New Zealand and find work.
  • A British citizen is entitled to a PVT visa with a stay that can be extended up to 23 months. This also applies to people wishing to stay permanently or work on a long-term basis.

For some countries, it's quite easy to stay in New Zealand. All you need is a valid passport or an employment contract for a long stay. For other countries that have not agreed to use a visa for New Zealand, you need to fill in a few documents before going through New Zealand customs.


What paper should I use to go to New Zealand?

Since 1 October 2019, an electronic travel authorisation has been introduced by the New Zealand government called: " NZeTA ". It is valid for 2 years for stays of up to 90 days for tourism. You are entitled to a normal period of 6 months per year maximum with a tax of IVL (International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy) included in the NZeTA for New Zealandto preserve nature.

Which nationalities are eligible for NZeTA in New Zealand?

In all, there are 60 nationalities who require electronic authorisation to enter New Zealand even if they are visa-exempt. This applies in particular to nationals of France, the European Union, Belgium, the United Kingdom and Switzerland.

The NZeTA tariffs

If you come to New Zealand as a tourist for a visit, you have an exact fee to enter as many times as you need (valid for a maximum of 3 months at a time). This will be 38.75 euros per passenger (including IVL tax). Alternatively, if you are transiting through Auckland airport, you can choose the NZeTA Transitwithout leaving the airport. If you still have luggage and personal effects to collect, you will need a NZeTA classicor 48.81 euros per passenger and the IVL tax is not charged.


Claudia Bernard

Claudia turned her passion for travel into a sustainable lifestyle by becoming a digital nomad. She explores the globe while working remotely, offering practical advice for those who want to combine work and a passion for travel. Discover her tips for finding the best work spots, managing jet lag and living a balanced nomadic life.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

en_GBEnglish (UK)
Powered by TranslatePress