Which departments are concerned by the mountain law?
The law mountain came into force on 1 November 2021. This law stipulates the obligation to wear tyres winter for vehicles in mountainous areas during the winter period. Yes, but two or four tyres winter are they compulsory? Which departments and vehicles are concerned? We explain it all to you!
What does the Mountain Law 2022 say?
The implementing decree no. 2020-1264 of 16 October 2020 was put in place to ensure the safety and conditions of motorists or road users in the event of snow on the road. This law makes it compulsory to wear tyres winter 3PMSF, in selected departments chosen by the prefects during each winter period. Until 1 November 2021 panels B26 were installed on some roads encouraging motorists to wear special equipment on their vehicles in case of snowy roads. Please note that this decree only concerns the French territory.
In which cities are snow tyres or winter tyres compulsory?
The prefects of the departments located in mountainous areas have determined the municipalities and vehicles concerned by this precaution during the winter period. They have laid down the obligations to wear not only tyres winterIn addition, removable anti-skid devices for heavy vehicles with semi-trailers or trailers, such as chains or snow socks, are required. These devices must be fitted to at least two driving wheels. Among the municipalities concerned are :
- Ain, Aisne, Allier, the Alpes-de-Haute-ProvenceAlpes-Maritimes, Ardèche, Ariège, Aube, Aude, Aveyron,
- Cantal, Corse-du-Sud, Côte d'Or, Corrèze, Creuse, Haute-Corse
- Doubs, Drôme
- Haute-Garonne, Hérault, Haute-Corse, Haute-Loire, Hautes-Pyrénées, Haut-Rhin, Haute-Saône,
- Loire, Lozère, Lot
- Tarn-et-Garonne, Tarn
- Vaucluse, Vosges
How do I know if my municipality is concerned by the mountain law?
Generally, the law mountain concerns French territory such as the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and Saône-et-Loire. To find out if your commune is concerned by the law mountainYou will see signs or markings at the entrances and exits of the mountainous areas. The latter has been progressively installed since 1 November 2021. These are B58 and B59 signs. As far as penalties are concerned, if you do not comply with this law mountainIf you are not equipped, you risk paying a fine of 135 euros and your vehicle will be immobilised in the event of an inspection from the 2023 and 2024 seasons. In this case, the penalty will be imposed on the driver of the car and not on the owner.
Know the essential equipment: are 2 or 4 snow tyres compulsory?
- M+S or Mud and Snow fits the old regulatory definition of a tyre winter. This equipment is permitted during the transition period, which will last until 1 November 2024.
- 3PMSF These tyres are mandatory from 1 November 2024. They comply with a European certification ensuring a minimum grip on snow during braking or acceleration.
Which vehicles are governed by the mountain law?
The obligations regarding the wearing of equipment in winter period are :
- Private vehicles, the law mountain requires the wearing of four tyres winter with anti-slip equipment such as snow chains or socks on two-wheel drive.
- Commercial vehicles such as vans or motorhome the law mountain requires the wearing of tyres winter on at least two drive wheels.
- Coach and bus type vehicles
- Heavy goods vehicles without trailers, which must be equipped with tyres winter on the steered wheels and chains on at least two driven wheels.
- Heavy goods vehicles with trailers, the law mountain makes it compulsory to wear snow chains on two-wheel drive vehicles.