Do French people need a visa for the USA?
You have been planning for a long time to go to New Yorkin Miami, Las Vegas for your holidays Or have you decided on a whim? It is very tempting, but you should first think about preparing your trip well.
Before you can fly to the other side of the world, there are files to prepare. This step is becoming increasingly complex and may surprise most tourists. To avoid being caught off guard, here is everything you need to know about procedures and the documents mandatory to have on hand for your trip to the USA.
What are the requirements for entering the USA?
In order to enter the United States, you need a passport. A exemption programme visa has been established for French nationals as well as other countries such as Germany, Australia, Austria and many others. If this is the case for you, or if by chance your country is eligible for ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), you do not need a visa to travel to the United States. A visa is therefore not required for French citizens wishing to visit the USA.
This condition applies to adults, including childrenHolders of a French biometric passport or an individual passport with reading (Delphine), regardless of your age. It must have been issued before 26 October 2005 to be valid. This document must cover at least 6 months before the planned date of departure, with the exception of countries belonging to the "six month club members".
However, those who have a double nationality with certain countries, such as Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, or Yemen must have a visa affixed to the French passport by the American authorities before departure. In this case, the applicant It is advisable to visit the US Embassy or Consulate before departure.
However, an electronic travel authorisation or ESTA before you leave. It is valid for 2 years and allows you to travel to the USA multiple times without reapplying. You have to pay 21 $ for its issuance.
For a tourist trip or a simple business trip, you need to have a ticket return airfare. The duration of the stay is a maximum of 90 days and cannot be extended on the spot. The visitor must not change status by taking up work or study.
In addition, it is necessary to submit a proof of solvency to show that you can support yourself on the territory American. It is done with a credit card or a traveller's cheque for example.
Also, if your visa has been refused previously, you will still have need a visa.
Is a visa required to travel to the US?
Some situations require the possession of a visa still valid. This is the case if you are going to stay there for more than 90 consecutive days. This is especially true if :
- Your trip is not tourist, professional or medical.
- You have been in Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and all of the above countries since 2011.
- You are travelling on a private plane or any other carrier that does not use the ESTA system.
- You cannot enter the country on the basis of theImmigration and Nationality Act § 212.
- You do not have a passport from a country participating in the Visa Waiver Programme.
Documents required for a visa application for the USA
In order to submit a visa application for the United States, you must provide the following documents:
- Two passport photos (recently taken)
- A valid passport The minimum period of validity must be 6 months from the date of date of departure
- A application form completed visa application
- From supporting documents This includes a certificate of health insurance and evidence confirming the reason for your stay, for example your airline ticketsYou can also send a letter from the university if you are going there to study.