Practical guide to your roof tent
You've probably already seen those cars with tents perched on their roofs, haven't you? If you're tempted by the idea, welcome to our practical guide to roof tents. Make yourself comfortable and let us guide you!
What is a roof tent?
You've probably already found yourself on the road or at a campsite, casting an envious eye at those cars topped with a structure that looks like... a tent? Well, dear adventurers, you're not dreaming. It is indeed a tent, but not just any tent: a roof tent!
A roof tent is, as the name suggests, a tent specially designed to be fixed to the roof of your vehicle. It differs from traditional tents in its ability to provide sleeping accommodation high up, away from the disadvantages of the ground, such as damp or crawling little creatures. Designed to be robust and easy to deploy, the family roof tent is the ideal companion for those looking for a quick and comfortable sleeping solution on their travels.
The different types of hulls
- Hard shell : Robust and durable, it provides better thermal insulation and is easy to install.
- Soft shell : Lighter and often less expensive, it unfolds quickly but offers less insulation.
- Hybrid hull : Combining the advantages of the previous two, it remains less widespread on the market.
Advantages and disadvantages
Opting for a roof tent is above all making a strategic choice for your escapades. And like all choices, there are pros and cons to weigh up.
- Advantages :
- Quick to install
- Increased comfort (sleeping off the floor)
- Optimum protection against the elements
- Saves space in the vehicle
- Additional purchase cost
- Additional weight on the vehicle
- Wind resistance for journeys
Special mention to Skycamp 3.0 the brand iKamperwith its incomparable spaciousness. You can also take a look at the X-Covercompact and very practical.
Installing and maintaining a roof tent
Setting up a roof tent is child's play, really. Just follow these simple steps:
- Checking the vehicle : Make sure your car can support the weight of the roof tent. Check your vehicle owner's manual for the maximum load that the roof bars can support.
- Selecting the roof bar : It's crucial to choose sturdy roof bars that are suitable for your vehicle. They form the basis of your installation.
- Positioning : Centre the tent on the roof bars to balance the weight. This makes for a safer, more stable ride.
- Mounting : Use the fixings supplied with the tent to secure it firmly. Make sure all fixings are tight to prevent movement while driving.
- Opening : Follow the instructions specific to your model. Most tents can be opened using a ladder, which also helps to stabilise the tent.
- Closing : Make sure you remove all objects from the tent before closing it. Make sure there are no protruding fabrics to ensure a perfect seal.
Tips for caring for your roof tent
To ensure that your roof tent lasts for many years to come, you need to take a few simple steps to maintain it:
- Frequency : Clean your roof tent after each use to remove dust, pollen and other debris.
- Products : Use mild soap and water. Avoid harsh chemicals that could damage the fabric.
- Drying : Before storing your tent, make sure it is completely dry to prevent mould from forming.
- Cool location : Store your tent in a cool, dry place. Avoid damp places or places exposed to direct sunlight.
- Wear and tear : Check seams, zips and fabric regularly for wear. If necessary, carry out repairs to extend the life of your tent.
- Spare parts : Keep a repair kit and a few spare parts, such as screws and fasteners, handy in case you need them.
Discover the iKamper roof tent brand
If you're into the world of roof tents, it's impossible to miss the iKamper brand. Synonymous with innovation and quality, iKamper is constantly pushing back the boundaries of what's possible. With a pioneering spirit and a real passion for adventure, this brand offers roof tents that combine functionality, comfort and style. Each model is the result of a great deal of thought, aimed at providing the best possible experience for adventurers on the road.
So, are you ready for the big jump? With this guide in your pocket, you'll have all the information you need to choose your roof tent with complete peace of mind. Happy trails and adventures!